On August 25, 2015 six students and their dogs earned American Kennel Club (AKC) titles at Michigan Dog Training in Plymouth, Michigan. The evaluations are given free of charge for students at the conclusion of their dog classes and is open to mixed and pure breed dogs.
The AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy program evaluates the owner’s responsible puppy raising behaviors, the puppy’s temperament, and the puppy’s pre-Canine Good Citizen behaviors. The Canine Good Citizen (CGC) test evaluates the dog’s obedience and temperament: 1. Accepting a friendly stranger, 2. Sitting politely for petting, 3. Appearance and grooming, 4. Out for a walk – heeling, 5. Walking through a crowd, 6. Sit and down on command/Staying in place, 7. Coming when called, 8. Reaction to another dog, 9. Reaction to distractions, and 10. Supervised separation.
Congratulations to the following students and their dogs!
S.T.A.R. Puppy Program
- Kristin Kinasz and her dog Murphy, Saint Bernard of Westland, Michigan
- Matthew Shaffer and his dog Hemi Gage Shaffer, German Shepherd of Roseville, Michigan
- Patricia Nowling and her dog Oscar, Chocolate Lab of Belleville, Michigan
- Tom Laco and his dog Guinness, German Short-Haired Pointer of Livonia, Michigan
- Â Holly Tebelman and her dog Cider, Yellow Lab of Dearborn, Michigan
- Jason Horne and his dog Lucy, Saint Bernard of Canton, Michigan
You and your dog can also earn titles by joining puppy and adult dog classes at Michigan Dog Training. Â A new round of classes start the week of September 8, 2015. Â Call now and get your puppy or dog started “on the right paw” to better manners. Classes offered include:
- Puppy Manners (Puppy S.T.A.R. Certificate)
- Basic Manners
- Intermediate Manners (CGC Title)
- Advanced Manners (Advanced CGC and Urban CGC)
- Feisty Fido (dog to dog reactivity)
- Do More With Your Dog (tricks and fun agility)
- Protection Sport Dog