Michigan Dog Training in Plymouth, Michigan has a structured and documented training program for it’s trainers as they develop their knowledge of dog training and handling skills. Most MDT trainers start out as an Assistant Dog Trainer, progress to Dog Trainer and then become a MDT Certified Dog Trainer to ensure they have the skills necessary to provide the ultimate training experience for clients and their dogs. The purpose of this blog post is to discuss what it takes to become a MDT Certified Dog Trainer.
A Certified Dog Trainer assists the Supervisor and CEO in the planning and execution of dog training programs, trains other dog trainers and conducts private training sessions with clients and/or teaches group classes in addition to the responsibilities they performed as a Dog Trainer. To become certified, they must have at least two years of prior experience as a dog trainer, receive training/mentoring with Michael Burkey, CEO of Michigan Dog Training,Â pass written and practical exams and pass a formal interview. Through this process the successful candidate will demonstrate that they posses the following skills:
- Knowledgeable of learning theory
- Ability to teach a dog advanced obedience commands via hand and voice signals such as place, focused heeling, contact heeling, sit and down out of motion, return to heel position, agility obstacles and capping the drive exercises.
- Knowledgeable and able to work with dog to dog and dog to human aggression cases.
- Demonstrated ability to handle all dogs housed and trained at Michigan Dog Training facility
- Ability to teach clients Novice and Intermediate levels tricks via the Kyra Sundance program
- Knowledgeable and able to demonstrate Canine Good Citizen (CGC) and Advanced CGC testing requirements
- Knowledgeable and able to demonstrate Novice Obedience and Novice Rally exercises
- Knowledgeable of verbal markers
- Service orientation
- Time management
- Judgment and decision making
- Ability to work well with others
- Attention to detail and be proactive
MDT employs experienced trainers and is committed to their on-going skill development which ultimately enhances the training experience for its clients and their dogs. You can trust MDT’s experience, professionalism, and integrity.